Monday, November 27, 2023

Writer and Reader Comfort Part 2: Comfort at Your Desk - tools to make writing and reading time easier. #amwriting #writinglife #reader #booklover #christmasgift #holidaygiftguide

I wrote this post in April but thought it could be helpful as people look for holiday gifts. Get these for the writers or readers in your life!

I was recently at a writer’s retreat where we spent an evening sharing the tools we found to make our writing and reading time easier. I decided others might appreciate learning about some of these tools. I’ve also added a couple more of my own favorites. (See part 1 of Writer and Reader Comfort here.)

Comfort at Your Desk

If you spend a lot of time at your desk, a good chair is invaluable. I ordered the OFM ESS Collection Racing Style Bonded Leather Gaming Chair in 2020. I like the padded seat, armrests that can go up out of the way, adjustable height and swivel. It’s “currently unavailable,” but this one is similar: Racing Style Gaming Chair 

This version has attached lumbar and neck support and is surprisingly affordable (on sale for about $60 as of this writing): High-Back Gaming Office Chair 

And here’s the “Executive” version if you're feeling fancy: Homall Executive Gaming Chair 


A good keyboard is also key for writers. I was having pain in my right shoulder, likely due to reaching out to use the rollerball mouse. This left-handed keyboard has the number keypad on the left side, which allows me to keep my mouse closer on the right side. (I’m not actually left-handed. The primary difference is the position of the number keypad.) Getting used to any new configuration takes a little time but is worth it in the long run.
 Ergonomic Left Handed Keyboard 

If you don’t have a problem with the number keypad position but suffer from pain in your hands or wrists, you might prefer a split keyboard. I used this one until I decided to get the left-handed keyboard: Ergonomic Split Keyboard 

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this seat cushion, and I think most of the people at the writing retreat ordered their own. I have chronic back pain and can’t bear to sit on hard furniture. If you get one thing on this list, I recommend this! WAOAW Seat Cushion 

I wanted something I could take with me when I might be required to sit on a hard chair. Yes, I bring this to friends’ houses and I used it at the writing retreat not only at the desk in my room but at the dining room table. It’s so nice I also use it on my padded desk chair. My husband ordered one too. 

Or if you need more lumbar support, check out the pillow combos that have a back section as well as a seat cushion. Here’s an example: Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion and Lumbar Support Pillow Combo

It's important to take care of our backs. That might mean yoga, visiting a chiropractor or acupuncturist, pain relief, or some combination of those things. It should also mean making sure you have a great ergonomic desk set up. 

Good ergonomics means you should also have your desk and chair at the right height so your feet are comfortably on the floor. It’s not easy to change the height of a desk, however. Instead you can use a footrest. The first one I ordered was a little too high for my setup, so I passed it on to my husband. This shape adds a bit more flexibility: Everlasting Comfort Foot Rest for Under Desk 

I hope you find something here that makes your life easier. Check out my previous post on tools for comfort, and I’ll be back with a post on “Easing Neck Pain,” and possibly more as I discover useful tools for writers and readers! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


Kris Bock
writes novels of mystery, suspense, and romance.
In the Accidental Detective series, a witty journalist solves mysteries in Arizona and tackles the challenges of turning fifty. Kris’s Furrever Friends Sweet Romance series features the employees and customers at a cat café. In the Accidental Billionaire Cowboys series, a Texas ranching family wins a fortune in the lottery, which causes as many problems as it solves. Sign up for the Kris Bock Mystery and Romance newsletter and get a free Accidental Detective short story and bonus material, a free 30-page sweet romance set in the world of the Furrever Friends cat café, and a printable copy of the recipes mentioned in the cat café novels.

Kris also writes a series with her brother, scriptwriter Douglas J Eboch, who wrote the original screenplay for the movie Sweet Home Alabama. The Felony Melanie series follows the crazy antics of Melanie, Jake, and their friends a decade before the events of the movie. Sign up for the romantic comedy newsletter to get a short story preview, or find the books at Amazon US or All E-book retailers.

Kris has over 100 books for children published under the names Chris Eboch and M. M. Eboch. Her novels for ages nine and up include The Eyes of Pharaoh, a mystery in ancient Egypt; The Well of Sacrifice, a Mayan adventure used in many schools; and The Genie’s Gift, a middle eastern fantasy. Jesse Owens: Young Record Breaker and Milton Hershey: Young Chocolatier are inspiring biographies focused on them as children and young men.

No comments:

Post a Comment