Do you want to make money from writing? Are you willing and able to write on assignment if given a topic, word count, grade level, and deadline? Then you may be perfect for educational work for hire!
Educational publishers need writers for nonfiction and fiction books, test passages and questions, lesson plans, and more. Learn about the options in educational publishing, what makes a good work-for-hire writer, how to approach publishers, and how to produce a good resume and writing sample.
Attendees will have two options:
- Watch the webinar series and work on your own. $150
- Be paired with a mentor who will review assignments. Those who complete the course assignments will finish with a writing sample and resume as well as connections to editors. The number of participants at this level will be limited by the number of mentors. $400 total
WHEN: The webinar series will be on 7 Saturdays, starting September 4 and going through October 16. These webinars will start at 1 PM PT; 2 PM MT; 3 PM CT; 4 PM ET and last 60-90 minutes. In addition, a roundtable with editors or individual meet and greet sessions with editors will be scheduled at the editors’ availability. See the website for the full schedule.
· Overview of Educational Publishing: What is it? Why would you do it? Books, test passages, curriculum development, and more. Pros and cons of work for hire. The qualities of a good work-for-hire writer.
· Getting work: Identifying publishers. Submitting your resume and writing samples.
· Understanding publisher guidelines for assignments. Time-efficient research. Choosing kid-friendly angles and facts to include. Writing in the appropriate style. Writing to an assigned grade level.
· Please note: This program cannot guarantee you will find work in educational publishing. Some students may be ready to seek work at the end, while others will leave the course with advice on how to further their skills through additional study and practice.
Limited scholarships are available. If you are in a community that is traditionally underrepresented, and also have financial need, please apply for a scholarship. See the website for more info.