Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Where Should You Go with your NaNo?: Discount Critique Offer


How many of you did National Novel Writing Month this year? If you made a good attempt, whether or not you got 50,000 words, I applaud you. It takes a lot of dedication to even attempt writing a novel in a month, especially a month that starts off the holiday season.

One of the big criticisms of NaNoWriMo is that people whip out a novel and then (shudder) actually submit it to publishers. If you are following this blog, I know you know better. You know you need to edit. Probably a lot.

But sometimes the very idea of editing seems overwhelming. How do you take this big mess and turn it into something worth reading? Which direction should you go? Should you target it a bit older.... or maybe younger? Play up the mystery elements or the fantasy or the romance? Cut out some subplots to make this more focused, or expand it into a trilogy? How do you develop your strengths and overcome your weaknesses?

Have I got a deal for you! My normal rate for editorial services is $1.50 per page. In honor of NaNoWriMo, I will critique your novel for just $1 per manuscript page (about $160 if you actually hit the 50,000-word mark).

What’s the catch? Don’t expect a lot of comments on the manuscript itself. Chances are you need to do major content editing, so I’m not going to waste time discussing your word choices. However, you will get a 4 to 6 page editorial letter discussing plot, characters, setting, theme, style/voice, and marketability. As part of style/voice, I’ll point out where you might need to work on techniques such as showing rather than telling, balance of action/dialogue/description, pacing, and so forth. The goal of this critique is to give you guidance, to make the editorial process easier.

And what if you didn’t do NaNoWriMo? If you need direction on a manuscript, you can still take advantage of this offer. It’s available on a first-come first-served basis, until January 15 or until my schedule fills up. $50 minimum.

This is a chance to get a professional review of your work at a bargain-basement rate. Satisfied clients have said:

“Thank you so much for an amazing critique.  The good part is that I totally understand your comments. I totally appreciate your professional comments and quick turn-around.” Charlotte, TX

“I love all of your suggestions … You are an excellent editor and critique service. I shall highly recommend you.” Molly, NM

“I am extremely happy that I had you critique the story. You are thorough and took the time to analyze it so well. I know your critique will definitely help me with future writing.” – Alexandra, NM

You can see more recommendations and contact me through my website “For Writers” page.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting concept. I know that my own NaNo project needs major work before I do anything with it.

    ReplyDelete