Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Am I Famous Yet?

On this blog, I primarily talk about the craft of writing well, with occasional commentary on the publishing business. But I recently joined a monthly blog hop for The Insecure Writer's Support Group, and our task is to express doubts, concerns, lessons or guidance about the emotional side of writing, so today I’m thinking about a lesson I’ve learned – and sometimes have to relearn.

This past weekend, I attended the Kansas SCBWI writing conference as a workshop speaker. They paid my airfare and put me up in a nice hotel, give me a gift basket with gourmet chocolate, took me out for great meals, and generally treated me like a star. I also got a chance to hang out with not one but two Newbery Medal winners, Linda Sue Park (A Single Shard, 2002) and Clare Vanderpool (Moon over Manifest, 2011).